The Distribution of his Majesty's Maundy, by the Sub-Almoner in the Ante Chapel at Whitehall.From the Original Drawing in the possession of the Revd. Dr. Richard Kaye, Dean of Lincoln, F.R.S. and Trustee of the British Museum.
Publish'd as the Act directs 23d. April 1789.
Etching, image 425 x 625mm. 16¾ x 24½". Trimmed within plate and into publication line. Three tears from extremities.
Interior of the Anti Chapel within the Banqueting House at Whitehall, Westminster, showing the distribution of the King's Maundy; figures sitting with food at long tables, standing by the doorway at left and on the balcony above. The building was designed by Inigo Jones and completed in 1622, it is the only remaining part of the old Whitehall Palace above ground. Engraved by James Basire after Samuel Hieronymus Grimm (1733 - 1794). Grimm's watercolour of 1773 is in the King's Topographical Collection at the British Library.
[Ref: 12764] £280.00