Sir John Nicholl, Judge. Colonel of St. Giles and Bloomsbury Volunteers [written below the image in pencil.]
Aquatint printed in colour. Image 321 x 249mm. 11¾ x 9¾". Sheet 504 x 339mm. 19¾ x13¼".
Sir John Nicholl (1759-1838) was a Welsh Member of Parliament and judge. As a judge he was noted 'for inflexible impartiality and great strength and soundness of judgement'. Nicholl built an extensive practice and on the 6 November 1798 he succeeded Sir William Scott as King's Advocate and was knighted as was custom for the position. Within this role, Nicholl would often brief the Privy Council and Secretary of State on international law. In 1802, Nicholl was elected to Parliament holding the seat of Penryn in Cornwall. After a brief period as Member of Parliament of Hastings from 1806 to 1807, he was elected to the seat of Great Bedwyn, and remained the member of the constituency until the Reform Act of 1832, upon which time he retired. Nicholl was a staunch Tory throughout his political career and steadily opposed parliamentary reform and Roman Catholic emancipation. In 1809 he was appointed Dean of the Arches, was admitted to the Privy Council and became a judge of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury. In 1833 Nicholl was appointed as a judge to the High Court of Admiralty and held the post until his death in 1838; though he resigned his offices of Dean of Arches and to the Prerogative Court, after he was made vicar-general to the Archbishop of Canterbury in 1834. For his work during the Napoleonic War, as a member of the volunteer movement, he was awarded the rank of lieutenant-colonel. He was also a Fellow of the Royal Society and of the Society of Antiquaries.
[Ref: 12723] £160.00