The "Leda" Yacht, R.W.Y.C.
London, Published Jany 1st. 1850, by Messrs. Fores, At Their Sporting & Fine Print Repository, & Frame Manufactory, 41 Piccadilly, Corner of Sackville Street.
Lithograph with hand colouring. Image 315 x 450mm, (12½ x 17¾"). Repaired tear on right edge.
Founded as the Port of Plymouth Royal Clarence Regatta Club in 1827, the Royal Western Yacht Club was founded in 1833. Its original aims were to hold an annual regatta, to organise an active social programme and to stimulate improvements in naval architecture through yacht racing, and the Club still holds to the principles of those original aims today. In those early years the Club's principal strength proved to be in long distance cruising. Its members' yachts, wearing the Blue Ensign, a privilege given to them in a Warrant granted by Queen Victoria, were to be seen in the farthest corners of the globe, from France and St Petersburg to Cape Town, Ceylon, South America and the USA. At the same time the Club's active involvement in racing grew consistently. As well as running an annual regatta the Club was soon organising an annual series of races for J Class Yachts, an event which continued for over 100 years until 1934. After Nicholas Matthew Condy (1818 - 1851).
[Ref: 11978] £950.00