The Doctor. of the National Sporting Club taken from Life.
Hand coloured etching, 290 x 210mm. 11½ x 8¼". Unexamined out of frame.
The sitter is identified as 'Dr Collins' in ink on plate lower right. The National Sporting Club was a private boxing club founded in London in 1891, at 43 King Street, Covent Garden. The founders were John Fleming and A.F. “Peggy” Bettinson, and Hugh Lowther, 5th Earl of Lonsdale was its first president. The club was run under very strict rules regarding both the boxers and the members. Bouts would take place after dinner, before about 1,300 members and guests. The bouts would be fought in silence as no talking was permitted during the rounds. The club built up a great tradition of sportsmanship and fair play. In 1909, the president introduced the Lonsdale Belt as a prize to be awarded to the British champion at each weight. The belts were made from porcelain and twenty-two carat gold. By George Frederick Arthur Belcher ARA (1875 - 1947).
[Ref: 11721] £220.00