[Facsimile mss.] Cumberland Fleet.Sir/ You are desir'd to attend a Meeting of Members of this Society...[etc.] Josh: Wood Secy. [facsimile signature.]
Unfilled printed invitation with etched illustration on laid paper, sheet c.275 x 215mm. 10¾ x 8½". Creases where folded; age toned and laid on tissue backing. Left margin partially missing.
The Cumberland Fleet is an alternative name still occasionally used of the The Royal Thames Yacht Club (RTYC), the oldest sailing club in the United Kingdom. Its headquarters are located at 60 Knightsbridge, London, overlooking Hyde Park. The club was first formed in 1775 by Prince Henry, Duke of Cumberland and Strathearn, younger brother of King George III, who made a silver cup available for a race on the River Thames. This cup is held aloft in the illustration by a figure of Neptune who rides on the waves in an oyster shell with a British maritime flag accompanied by three other allegorical/mythological figures. This group heads towards racing sailing boats in the distance far left. Members of the club in these early years met in coffee houses. The club owned various properties in London from 1857 onwards and moved to its present location in 1923.
[Ref: 11717] £160.00