Hortus Botanicus. The Physick Garden in Oxon.
Engraving. 420 x 500mm. 16½ x 19¾". Centrefold as issued, short tears in bottom edge.
Plan of the Oxford Physic Garden, with four architectural vignettes and two banner cartouches supported by putti. Founded in 1621 by Henry Danvers, Earl of Danby (who is commemorated in Latin text in a cartouche upper left), its purpose was the study of medicinal plants. Building the Garden, on the site of the former medieval Jewish cemetery, cost the enormous sum of £5000. Much of that sum went on the walls which enclosed the original garden, and comparatively little was left for plants! It was renamed the Oxford Botanic Garden in 1840. Plate to David Loggan's (1635 - 1700?) 'Oxonia Illustrata' (Oxford, 1675). The volume contained an engraved titlepage, three plates of preliminaries, and forty unnumbered engraved plates, many double-page, of views of Oxford colleges.
[Ref: 11420] £180.00