The School Frigate Conway. This Print is most respectfully dedicated to James Beazley Esqr., Chairman and the Committee By their most obedient Servant Digby B. Morton.
Published and Printed by John R. Isaac Liverpool. [n.d. c.1860]
Coloured lithograph 410 x 650mm. 16 x 25½". Repairs and stippling through the sky.
In 1857 the Liverpool branch of the Mercantile Marine Service Association was established in order to improve the competence and standards of the ships, officers and men. One aim of the Association was to establish schools for the training of boys and men for careers in the Mercantile Marine. HMS Conway, 26-gun sixth rate launched in 1832, was offered by the Admiralty and the training ship was founded on 1st August 1859. It became a national institute for the training of future officers of the Merchant Navy. On arrival in the Mersey, the Conway was moored off Rock Ferry. The original Conway was replaced after two years by HMS Winchester and in 1876 was again replaced by HMS Nile . Both were renamed Conway . The artist and printer of this lithograph, John Raphael Isaac (1808-1870), lived and worked in Liverpool, England, and produced much nautical material during his career, both his own work and that of others. An 1843 letter from him to photography pioneer Henry Fox Talbot gives his address as “Establishment for Designing, Engraving, & Lithography, Liverpool, 62 Castle St.”, the same address as on the 1857 portfolio. Census records list him as “Draftsman, Engraver, Lithographer & Printer, employing 9 men” in Liverpool. James Beazley Esqr., a ship owner from Liverpool, headed the association at its inauguration. Liverpool was the largest emigration port in the British Isles at this time.
[Ref: 11118] £850.00