A South View of Oswego, on Lake Ontario, in North America.
Engraving on watermarked laid paper, sheet 150 x 270mm. 6 x 10½". Trimmed within plate. Pin hole to sky.
Fort Oswego was an important frontier post for British traders in the 18th century. A trading post was established in 1722 with a log palisade, and New York governor William Burnet ordered a fort built at the site in 1727. The fort established a British presence on the Great Lakes. During the French and Indian War, this fort was captured and destroyed by the French in 1756. The site is now included in the city of Oswego, New York. Illustration to the London Magazine, numbered in image, with key lower left.
From Capper Album.
[Ref: 10950] £140.00