The Public Library. Melbourne.
Lithograph, sheet 160 x 185mm. 6¼ x 7¼". Sheet trimmed. Vertical centre crease. Slightly soiled.
The State Library of Victoria. In 1853 the decision to build a state library was made at the instigation of Lieutenant-Governor Charles La Trobe and Sir Redmond Barry. A competition was held to decide who would design the new building; local architect Joseph Reed (1823? - 1890), who later designed the Melbourne Town Hall and the Royal Exhibition Building, won the commission. On 3 July 1854, the recently inaugurated Governor Sir Charles Hotham laid the foundation stone of both the new library and the University of Melbourne. The library opened in 1856, with a collection of 3,800 books chosen by Sir Redmond, the President of Trustees. Rare.
[Ref: 10799] £80.00