To Captanis [sic] Robert and George C. Gambier, and Captain Robert Elliott, R.N., this View of the Sailors AsylumIn Dock Street, Wellclose Square, Is respectfully inscribed By their obedient Servant The Publisher.
Lithograph, sheet 275 x 380mm. 10¾ x 15".
In 1827 a group of philanthropists founded the Destitute Sailors' Asylum. This is a very rare view inside the converted warehouse in Dock Street they used, north of the London Docks in London's East End. At first, the Asylum provided shelter and food for shipwrecked and destitute seamen, but it soon became clear that many other seamen needed help. A committee was set up and funds were raised to build a Sailors' Home in nearby Well Street. This opened in 1835.
[Ref: 10674] £180.00