Messrs. Truman, Hanbury, Buxton & Co's. Brewery,To whom this Print is Respectfully Dedicated by their Obliged Servant, J. Moore, Corner Of West Street, Upper St. Martins Lane.
Hand coloured aquatint, sheet 540 x 675mm. 21¼ x 26½". Very scarce. Two repaired tears into inscription. Strengthening/repairs to corners.
Large and impressive view of the Black Eagle brewery complex located around Brick Lane in the Spitalfields area of east London, featuring several figures and dray horses pulling wagons, most laden with beer barrels. Thomas Fowell Buxton joined the company in 1808 and The Brick Lane brewery became known as Truman, Hanbury, Buxton & Co. Buxton improved the brewing process, converted the works to steam power and, with the rapid expansion and improvement of Britain's road and rail transport networks, the Black Eagle label soon became famous across Britain (by 1835 the brewery was producing some 200,000 barrels of porter a year). In 1888, Truman, Hanbury, Buxton & Co became a public company with shareholders, but the balance of production was now shifting to Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire. The Brick Lane facility remained active through a take-over by the Grand Metropolitan Group in 1971 and a merger with Watney Mann in 1972, but it was in terminal decline. It eventually closed in 1988. The old brewery buildings still stand in Brick Lane, where they have become home to an arts and events centre and various fashionable shops and bars.
[Ref: 10606] £1,850.00