[London: House of Commons, 1832.]
Coloured engraving. 220 x 145mm, 8¾ x 5½". Laid on and edged with linen. Some wear and surface dirt.
Whithorn, a former royal burgh in Galloway, Scotland, on a scale is 6 inches to a mile. The town was the site of the first recorded Christian church in Scotland, founded by Saint Ninian, on the site of the parish church marked here. Also shown are two 'Seceders' Meeting Houses, founded by those who had left the Church of Scotland, later becoming part of the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland. Originally published at the time of the Reform Act (which adjusted the boundaries of parliamentary constituencies to take account of the urban drift caused by the Industrial Revolution), this map has been updated with manuscript to determine the extent of free delivery for mail, part of the Great Post Office Reform of 1839-40, championed by Rowland Hill. Another part of this reorganisation was the introduction of the Penny Black, the world's first postage stamp.
[Ref: 10172] £80.00