[North East View of Sir Charles Asgill's Villa.]
Aquatint, scarce. Sheet 330 x 430mm (13 x 17"). Trimmed, creased. Asgill House (formerly Richmond Place), a Grade I-listed Palladian villa built 1757-8 by Sir Robert Taylor for Sir Charles Asgill, who was Lord Mayor of London in 1761-2. Although it was restored to its original appearance in 1970, which involved removing the Victorian extensions, nothing could be done to remove Richmond Railway Bridge which crosses the Thames nearby.
[Ref: 43622] £260.00
View from the Conservatory Garden, Bromley Hill.
Printed by Rowney & Forster [c.1820]
Lithograph with hand-colouring, printed area approx. 280 x 205mm (11 x 8") very large margins. View by the artist Amelia Long, Lady Farnborough (1772-1837) from Bromley Hill House, the property which she and her husband Charles Long (1761-1838) purchased in 1801. They enlarged the original 1760s house to their own designs and improved the much-admired garden which, by 1809, had two picturesque walks, each a mile long. Amelia Long exhibited four views taken in the grounds of Bromley Hill at the Royal Academy between 1811 and 1817. The gardens have long since disappeared but the house, much altered, survives as the Bromley Court Hotel on Bromley Hill.
[Ref: 43698] £140.00
The Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew.
Drawn by John O'Conner. Engraved by H. Adlard.
Steel engraving on india. 255 x 440mm (10 x 17¼") very large margins. The Palm House of Kew Gardens, built 1844-48) by architect Decimus Burton and iron founder Richard Turner, the first large-scale structural use of wrought iron. Originally the glass was tinted green with copper oxide to reduce heat from the sun. Above the image is the crest of the Stationers' Company. The view was originally published as the Stationers' Almanack 1852, but this example appears to be from a later compilation.
[Ref: 43285] £320.00
2.e Vue de Twickenham. Angleterre. Sites historiques
H. Vander-Burch lith.
Paris Turcis Jeune Imp.e Editeur, rue des Ecoles 80.
Lithograph, rare, sheet 285 x 335mm (11¼ x 13¼"). Crease through centre. The distinctive Ferry House and adjacent buildings on Riverside, Twickenham, with the river Thames in the foreground. The houses are very near to Orleans House (now the Orleans House Gallery), so named because in 1815, after Napoleon's return to power in France, Louis Philippe, duc d'Orleans became tenant of the house. Louis Philippe was accompanied by a large retinue, including two aides de camp who lived at Ferry House. It is probably for this reason that this French print focuses on this uncommon view.
Not in Gascoyne
[Ref: 43169] £240.00