[Aubrey House.] Notting-Hill House.
Drawn on Stone by E. Shepheard from a Sketch by J. Maisey. Printed by Graf and Soret.
Rare lithograph on india. 215 x 270mm (8½ x 10½"). A view of Aubrey House in Campden Hill, Holland Park. From 1830 to 1854 the building was a boarding-school for young ladies so perhaps the artist, Emma Shepheard, was a pupil.
[Ref: 43288] £230.00
The Bear Garden. From an enlarged Drawing of a very scarce View of London, called ''the Antwerp View,'' in the Possession of John Dent Esq.r.
[after Claes Janszoon Visscher.]
London, Published Oct.r 11th 1810, By Rob.t Wilkinson, No 58, Cornhill.
Coloured etching. Sheet 255 x 215mm (10 x 8½). Trimmed and mounted in album paper. The Beargarden, London's blood-sport arena in Bankside, in existence when the first plans of London were drawn in the 1560s. This view is derived from Claes Janszoon Visscher's prospect of 1616.
[Ref: 43264] £95.00
Drawn & Printed by C. Burton 18 Pickett Str.t
London, Published 1832 by R. Ackermann.
Lithograph, very rare; printed area 185 x 290mm (7¼ x 11½"). Unidentified collector's stamp verso. Greenwich Hospital from the river Thames, with the 'Royal Adelaide' and 'Harlequin' steam ships passing. Greenwich Hospital was completed in 1694 to designs by Christopher Wren and Nicholas Hawksmoor and functioned as a hospital for sailors until 1873. The distinctive split design was adopted to allow the already existing Queen's House to keep its view of the Thames. The Royal Observatory can be seen on the hill in the background.
[Ref: 43409] £260.00
The Church of St. Alphege, Greenwich, and the Intended New "Mitre Tavern".
Lithographed by John Shove, from a Sketch by Mrs. George Mathew [c.1840]
Lithograph, rare, printed area 175 x 195mm (6¾ x 7¾"). Staining to margins. View in the centre of Greenwich, south-east London. The church of St Alphege, designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor (1662?-1736) and built in 1712, is on the right, with the Mitre Tavern on the left. The latter, built in around 1840, still stands, and has been Grade-II listed for its architectural and historic interest.
[Ref: 43408] £190.00
View of the New Church of St. Mary, Greenwich. Taken from the Roof of the Parish Church of St. Alphege.
Painted and Drawn on Stone by J.D. Harding from a Sketch by Mrs. George Mathew.
Printed by C. Hullmandel
Lithograph, rare, fine proof impression, printed area 230 x 300mm (9 x 11¾"). The church of St Mary, Greenwich, London (then Kent), built in 1823-4 and destroyed in 1935. Designed by the architect George Basevi (1794-1845), who attended Dr Charles Burney's school in Greenwich before becoming a pupil of John Soane, the church with its impressive portico of Greek Ionic columns was similar to Basevi's earlier church of St Thomas, Stockport. The church stood at the St Mary's Gate entrance to Greenwich park. It is viewed here from Hawksmoor's St Alphege church, to the north-west. Greenwich Park is in the background, with the Royal Observatory visible in the distance. The University of Greenwich's Stockwell Street building now stands between the church of St Alphege and the site of the church of St Mary.
[Ref: 43407] £240.00
A View of the English Grotto, near the New River Head.
[after Jean Baptiste Chatelain.]
Etching. 200 x 260mm (8 x 10¼"), very large margins. Slight horizonatal crease. A view of the English Grotto, a tavern in Rosoman Street, Islington. The Crace catalogue (in the British Museum) attributes this print to Chatelain; another impression in the Marx Pennant suggests it is after Chatelain, engraved by Francis Vivares and published by John Rocque.
[Ref: 43293] £190.00
Robt. T. Pritchett. Herbert Sedcole. [pencil signatures.]
Etching on india, signed by the artist and engraver. 250 x 420mm (9¾ x 16½") very large margins. A few foxing spots and a small tear, all in the backing paper. A view of the east facade of Kensington Palace, the 'Round Pond' of Kensington Gardens in the foreground. Behind is the spire of St Mary Abbots Church.
[Ref: 43286] £260.00
Unfortunately this item is either sold or reserved. If you are interested in similar items and cannot find what you're looking for on our website, please consider filling in our interests form. If you register, we can also send you items that match your interests when the website is updated.
[Ten Trinity Square.] P.L.A. London. [in pencil.]
Kenneth Ames [? pencil signature]
[Kenan Ltd, n.d., c.1922.]
Etching in original mount and gilt-lettered folio. Plate 175 x 250mm (7 x 9¾"). Scuffs to covers, faint mount burn around image. A view of the former headquarters of the Port of London Authority on Tower Hill, probably at the time it was opened, by Prime Minister David Lloyd George, in 1922. At present there are plans to convert it into a Four Seasons Hotel. This print was published as a corporate Christmas card: the cover reads 'With the Compliments of the Season and Best Wishes for the New Year from Kenan Ltd. Reg 5653.
[Ref: 43213] £180.00
(£216.00 incl.VAT) view all images for this item