Belvoir Castle from between the Stables and the Garden.
F.W. Trench Aug.t 1819.
Lithograph, fine. Printed area 260 x 425mm (10¼ x 16½") large margins. Belvoir Castle in Leicestershire. Amateur lithograph by the army officer and politician Frederick William Trench (c.1777-1859). In December 1819 he was returned as an MP for Cambridge in an election controlled by the Duke of Rutland, owner of Belvoir. Trench was also keenly interested in architecture: in 1815 he proposed a vast monument to British naval and military victories over France on the site which became Trafalgar Square, and in 1824 he launched a project for an embankment on the north side of the Thames (in conjunction with which a long print of the project was produced).
[Ref: 43334] £280.00
Bon church, Isle of Wight, from the Sea.
R. Carrick, lith.
Day & Haghe Lith.rs to the Queen [c.1830]
Lithograph with tintstone, rare, 255 x 290mm (10 x 11½") very large margins. The small village of Bonchurch on the southern part of the Isle of Wight, near Ventnor.
Not in Abbey.
[Ref: 43510] £160.00
Booker's Tower. Guilford. Erected 1839.
Sketched & Drawn on Stone by E.C. Duncumb. Printed by W. Clerk, 202 High Holborn.
Published by E. Andrews, 61 High St. Guilford.
Lithograph. Sheet: 280 x 225mm (11 x 9") very large margins. A view of Booker's tower built by mayor of Guilford, Charles Booker in memory of his sons completed in 1839 it was used to commemorate the wedding of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. It was also used by scientist John Rand Capron in his experiments with light.
[Ref: 43664] £120.00
The Clifton Suspension Bridge.
Drawn by S. Jackson. G. Hawkins Lith. Day & Haghe Lith.rs to the Queen.
Published by G. Davey, 3 Broad Street, Bristol. [n.d., c.1840.]
Tinted lithograph. Printed area 215 x 290mm (8½ x 11½") Crease in bottom right corner of margin. A fine view from the side of the Avon looking up to the bridge.
[Ref: 43279] £230.00
W. Spreat [in imagre lower left]
Printed by C. Risdon, Exeter [c.1830]
Lithograph and tintstone, rare; sheet 225 x 325mm (8¾ x 12¾"). The hamlet of Dunsford Bridge, on the north fringe of the Peak Distrct. Angler holding a fishing rod on right.
[Ref: 43700] £160.00
[Epsom Races. View taken in balloon. Courses d'Epsom. Vue prise en ballon.]
[Drawn from nature and on stone by Jules Arnout. Printed by Lemercier in Paris.]
[London, pub.d 25th June 1846 by Gambart, Junin & Co, 25 Berners St Oxf. St. Paris, publié par Jeannin, Place du Louvre 20]
Lithograph with hand-colouring, sheet 285 x 445mm (11¼ x 17½"). Trimmed to image, losing all text. One of a series of aerial views capitalising on the excitement offered by the new technology of ballooning in the early nineteenth century.
[Ref: 43185] £240.00
Drawn on Stone by J.D. Harding. Printed by C. Hullmandel
Lithograph on indea, india dimensions 225 x 305mm (8¾ x 12") very large margins. Hetton Staiths, part of the port of Sunderland.
[Ref: 43615] £160.00
The Old Tithe Barn, Borobury, Peterborough.
Drawn & Lith.ed by Charles Moore. Day & Haghe Lith.rs to the Queen.
Tinted lithograph, scarce. Sheet 315 x 415mm (12¼ x 16¼") Some wear in margins; bit dusty. The interior of Peterborough Abbey's tithe barn, built in the 13th century for the original abbey. In 1898 Rev. W.D. Sweeting wrote: "Until a very few years ago there was a mediaeval building at Peterborough of the greatest interest. This was the old Tithe Barn of the Abbey, situated in the Manor of Boroughbury, on the Lincoln Road. It was much the finest in the kingdom. Unhappily the ''enterprising builder'' has obtained possession of it, and it has been pulled down, the materials, all Barnack stone, having been employed in building houses. It was of good thirteenth century work, and in perfect condition. On the east side were two large porches, by which a waggon fully laden could enter the barn. The roof was supported by very massive timbers rising from the ground, the whole arrangement resembling a wooden church with aisles".
Sweeting: The Cathedral Church of Peterborough.
[Ref: 43290] £240.00
Gypsum Quarry at Fauld.
Printed in colors by Hullmandel & Walton
London, John Van Voorst, Paternoster Row.
Chromolithograph, rare; sheet 155 x 250mm (6 x 9¾"). Crease top left. Gypsum quarry in Fauld, Staffordshire. Fauld Mine now supplies cement rock for the cement industry.
[Ref: 43333] £95.00
Quarry Gill Bridge. In Swinton Park Yorkshire the Seat of W. Danby Esq.r It was commenced in 1811 & finished in 1822.
Drawn by Anne H. Danby. [c.1830]
Lithograph, sheet 215 x 290mm (8½ x 11½"). Rare. Gothic bridge built to designs by John Foss at Swinton Park near Masham, Yorkshire. Swinton Park remains the seat of the Danby family (one of whom made this print).
[Ref: 43621] £130.00
Royal Albert Bridge, Saltash The above Engraving of the "Royal Albert Bridge," across the River Tamar at Saltash, represents a wrought-iron structure, 2,200 feet, or nearly half-a-mile, in length [...]
Printed and Published by W. Wood, 52, Fore Street, (opposite the Banks) Devonport.
Wood-engraving with hand-colouring, sheet 225 x 300mm (9 x 11¾"). The Royal Albert Bridge, which crosses the Tamar at Saltash in Cornwall. Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-59) was chief engineer and designer of the bridge, which replaced the ferry across the river to carry the new railway line linking Cornwall to the rest of England. The bridge opened shortly before Brunel's death in 1859, and this print, with its detailed information about the bridge, was one of several published shortly after it opened.
[Ref: 43614] £180.00
Political Sketches of Scarborough: Illustrated by Twenty-One Engravings of Humourous Subjects, Coloured from Original Designs, Made upon the Spot by J. Green, and Etched by T. Rowlandson.
London: Printed for R. Ackermann, 101, Strand, by J. Diggens, Saint Ann's Lane. 1813.
FIRST EDITION. Small 4to, contemporary full maroon morocco gilt, all edges gilt, marbled endpapers; pp. (4)+ xv + 215, with 21 aquatints with fine hand colour. Bound by Riviere & Son. Hinges rubbed, a couple of marks on boards. A fine example of this collection of poems relating to Scarborough by various writers including John Buonarotti Papworth (1775-1847), Francis Wrangham (1769-1842), and William Combe (1741-1823). In this edition the contributions were anonymous; for the second edition (also 1813) initials were added at the end of most of the chapters, as well as a dedication to Wrangham. The sketches, according to the 'Advertisement', were ''made as souvenirs of the place during a visit to Scarborough in the season of 1812. They were not intended for publication, but being found to interest many persons of taste, several of whom expressed a desire to possess engravings of them; and some gentlemen having offered to add metrical illustrations to each, the present form of publication has been adopted''. Thomas Rowlandson etched the plates, which were then aquatinted by other etchers.
[Ref: 43568] £380.00
view all images for this item
A Tower in the Grounds of Sir Rob.t D'Arcy Hildyard Bar.t at Sedbury Yorks:
J. Foss Inv.t G. Cuit Aquatinta [c.1795].
Rare aquatint, sheet 150x 220mm (6 x 8½"). Trimmed, damage top left. Tower in the grounds of Sedbury Hall near Richmond in Yorkshire.
[Ref: 43681] £80.00
Sebury Hall, the Seat of Sir Robert D'Arcy Hildyard Bar.t
G. Cuit fecit 1795
Aquatint, rare, platemark 150x 220mm (6 x 8½") large margins. Sedbury Hall near Richmond in Yorkshire.
[Ref: 43680] £130.00
near Shiffnal [ms]
Lithograph, scarce, printed area 180 x 280mm (7 x 11"). Evocative industrial scene near Shifnal in Shropshire.
[Ref: 43618] £130.00
Drawn by W. Westall. A.R.A. Engraved by Francis.
Engraving. Sheet: 135 x 200mm (5¼ x 8"). A view of the prehistoric monument of standing stones on Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire.
[Ref: 43569] £45.00
Etching. Plate: 200 x 250mm (8 x 9¾"). A view of the prehistoric monument of standing stones on Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire in which a group of three people stand in conversation in the centre of the stones and three men dig bones in the bottom left. An illustration from a German edition of J. Blaeu's 'Atlas Maior Sive Cosmographia Blaviana' first published 1662-1668.
[Ref: 43577] £190.00
North East View of Stonehenge- The Grand Entrance- From an Origial Drawing in the Collection of Rob.t. Duke Esq.r. [&] South West View of Stonehenge- From an Original Drawing in the Collection of Rob.t. Duke Esq.r.
G. Keate Del. 1770. H. Roberts Sculp.
Pair of engravings. Sheet: 155 x 230mm (6 x 9"). Trimmed within plate and tipped into an album sheet, some marking. A pair of view of the prehistoric monument of standing stones on Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire.
[Ref: 43578] £75.00
Drawn by T. Hearne. Engraved by W. Byrne & T. Medland.
London: Published as the Act directs, 2 Feb 1786 by T. Heanre & W. Byrne.
Engraving. Plate: 195 x 305mm (7¾ x 12") very large margins. Slight foxing. A view of the prehistoric monument of standing stones on Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire in which a shepherd sits on a fallen stone while his sheep graze..
[Ref: 43574] £90.00
I. Kip Sculp.
Engraving. Plate: 230 x 190mm (9 x 7½"). Sheet slightly torn. A view of the prehistoric monument of standing stones on Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire with a key in the bottom edge. An illustration from the 1722 edition of Edmund Gibson's English edition of Camden's 'Britannia', first published in 1695.
[Ref: 43576] £130.00
View of Taplow, taken from Maidenhead Bridge.
Drawn by W.m Havell. Engraved by R. Havell.
London, Published August 1 1818 by Thomas McLean.
Aquatint. 425 x 550mm (16¾ x 21½"). Small tear in title area, very small margins. A view looking from Maidenhead in Berkshire up the Thames to Taplow in Buckinghamshire, painted by William Havell (1782-1857) and engraved by his cousin Robert Havell jnr. (1793-1878), famed for engraving most of Audubon's monumental 'Birds of America'. The paper around the image has been coloured to mimic board, the usual presentation of a watercolour.
[Ref: 43446] £450.00
P. Sandby Fecit 1787.
Publish'd by P. Sand St Georges Row facing Hyde Park, May 1st 1788.
Hand-coloured aquatint. Plate: 370 x 540mm (14½ x 21¼"). Small margins, bit messy. A view of the Norman Motte and Bailey castle at Tonbridge in Kent in which several labourers fill carts with stone from the ruin, a woman walks past with her children and three men stand in conversation. The owner at the time, John Hooker sold stone from the castle in order to build locks in the river Medway and in 1791 his son Thomas built a house adjoining the gatehouse.
[Ref: 43565] £420.00
Suspension Bridge over the river Tees at Whorlton.
Green Arch.t Lambert [c.1831]
Engraving on india, platemark 130 x 170mm (5 x 6¾") very large margins. Paper tone to india; foxing. Rare. The suspension bridge in the small village of Whorlton, County Durham, designed by John Green of Newcastle. Opened in 1831 it was the earliest such road bridge in England.
[Ref: 43619] £75.00