Design Adopted by the Council for the Univerity of London.
William Wilkins, M.A. R.A. Arch.t 1826. Printed by C. Hullmandel.
Lithograph. Sheet 260 x 320mm (10¼ x 12½"). mss 'D' added top right, some soiling. The designs by William Wilkins RA (1778-1839) for the main building of what is now University College London. Work was started in 1827 but funds ran out in 1829; his design was not completed until 1985, 150 years after the foundations were laid. Wilkins was also a classical scholar and archaeologist, who tour of the Mediterranean influenced his designs. Between 1832 and 1838 he designed the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square; in 1837 he became Professor of Architecture at the Royal Academy, succeding Sir John Soane.
[Ref: 43300] £190.00