VAT included (see terms) | Exclude VAT

Plan of the Gardens, Plantations &c: of Boughton in NorthamptonShire, The Seat of his Grace the Duke of Montague &c: Containing in all 100 Acres & 130 Sqr. perches.
Plan of the Gardens, Plantations &c: of Boughton in NorthamptonShire, The Seat of his Grace the Duke of Montague &c: Containing in all 100 Acres & 130 Sqr. perches. Les Jardins &c. de Boughton dans la Comte de Northampton. Maison de Duc de Montague &c. pl.73 Vol: 3.a p: 74.
Ca: Campbell Delin: H: Hulsbergh Sculp:
[n.d. c.1731.]
Copper Engraving. Plate 360 x 483mm. 14¼ x 19". Vertical fold.
Garden plan from Henry Hulsbergh's "Vitruvius Brittanicus" series. Ralph,1st Duke of Montagu laid out the template of canals, lakes and avenues that remains dominant even now. Within that template which extended over nearly 100 acres he then created wonderful parterres replete with stone basins and statuary and fountains, neatly tended woodland with bosquet compartments, all reflecting the visual influence of years spent as ambassador to Louis XIV and then semi exile on the continent. John Montague, 2nd Duke of Montagu (1690-1749), one of the founding members of the Foundling Hospital, continued on from his his father's efforts to develop the formal garden and landscape of Boughton House but development came to a stop with his death. Restoration of the gardens is being carried out.
[Ref: 18006]   £230.00  
enquire about this item add to your wishlist

The Geometrical Plan of the House, Gardens and adjacent Parts of Cholmondley in Cheshire, the Seat of the Right Honourable Earl of Cholmondley.
The Geometrical Plan of the House, Gardens and adjacent Parts of Cholmondley in Cheshire, the Seat of the Right Honourable Earl of Cholmondley. Plan Geometrical de la Maison, Jardins etc part contigu de Cholmondley dans Cheshire Maison de Earl de Cholmondley. p: 29. Vol: 3.d. p:30
Ca: Campbell delin: H: Hulsbergh Sculp:
[n.d. c.1731.]
Copper Engraving. Plate 355 x 502mm. 14 x 19¾". Vertical fold through centre.
Garden plan from Henry Hulsbergh's "Vitruvius Brittanicus" series. Cholmondeley Castle is a mansion house in Cheshire. In the 18th Century, Hugh Cholmondeley, 1st Earl of Cholmondeley had created gardens around the house, both kitchen gardens and orchards to provide food for the household, and also pleasure gardens. They would have been formal in style as they were laid out by George London.
[Ref: 18019]   £260.00  
enquire about this item add to your wishlist

Plan of the Garden and Plantations of Clare Mont in Surry, the Seat of his Grace the Duke of New Castle &c:
Plan of the Garden and Plantations of Clare Mont in Surry, the Seat of his Grace the Duke of New Castle &c: Les Jardins &c. de Claremont dans le Comté de Surry Maison de Duc de Newcastle. p: 77. Vol: 3.d. p:78
Ca: Campbell delin: H: Hulsbergh Sculp:
[n.d. c.1731.]
Copper Engraving. Plate 397 x 497mm. 15½ x 19½". Vertical fold through centre.
Garden plan from Henry Hulsbergh's "Vitruvius Brittanicus" series. The road along the top the 'Guildford Road to London'. Claremont is a beautiful garden surrounding a small lake and featuring an unusual grass amphitheatre. The garden's creation and development has involved great names in garden history, including Sir John Vanbrugh, Charles Bridgeman, William Kent and 'Capability' Brown. In 1726 it was described as 'the noblest of any in Europe' and the garden today is of national importance. The highlight as seen in the upper part of this map is Belvedere, which was built to a design by Sir John Vanbrugh, and from the first floor views could be enjoyed of the whole garden and across many miles of countryside.
[Ref: 18017]   £260.00  
enquire about this item add to your wishlist

Plan of the Gardens, Plantations &c: of Hampton Court, in Herefordshire, the Seat of the Rt: Honourable The Lord Coningesby & c:
Plan of the Gardens, Plantations &c: of Hampton Court, in Herefordshire, the Seat of the Rt: Honourable The Lord Coningesby & c: Les Jardins &c. de Hampton Court dans le Comte de Hereford. p: 75. Vol: 3.d [Key lettered A to O, to right-hand side.]
Ca: Campbell Delin: H: Hulsbergh Sculp:
[n.d. c.1731.]
Engraving. Plate 247 x 381mm. 9¾ x 15".
Garden plan from Henry Hulsbergh's "Vitruvius Brittanicus" series. George London and Henry Wise were sole partners at the celebrated Brompton Park Nursery from 1689 until London's death in 1714. They enjoyed a near monopoly on large-scale landscape design, also supplying thousands of trees to landowners for avenue planting. London and Wise specialised in an English version of the formal Baroque gardens associated with the Catholic courts of continental Europe, of which Versailles was the pre-eminent example. The gardens at Hampton Court Palace, Herefordshire. Hampton Court Castle sits close to the River Lugg and the village of Hope-Under-Dinmore near Leominster. The Arkwright Family lived here for many years and William of Orange is said to have stayed.
[Ref: 18008]   £160.00   (£192.00 incl.VAT)
enquire about this item add to your wishlist

Plan of the Gardens, Plantations &c: of Long Leate in Wiltshire , the Seat of the Rt. Hon:ble the Lord Vis:t Weymouth.
Plan of the Gardens, Plantations &c: of Long Leate in Wiltshire , the Seat of the Rt. Hon:ble the Lord Vis:t Weymouth. Les Jardins &c de Long Leate de dans l'Comte de Wilts. p: 63. Vol: 3.d [Key lettered A to W, top left-hand corner.]
Ca: Campbell Delin: H: Hulsbergh Sculp:
[n.d. c.1731.]
Copper Engraving. Plate 305 x 502mm. 12 x 19¾". Vertical fold through centre.
Garden plan from Henry Hulsbergh's "Vitruvius Brittanicus" series. Thomas Thynne, 1st Viscount Weymouth (1640-1714) was a British peer, at Longleat, Wiltshire. A great Elizabethan house (1580) with garden and park. It once had an Elizabethan garden and a park designed by London and Wise in the 1680s, [See ref:18008]. Lancelot Brown re-designed them after 1757. It is noted for its Elizabethan country house, maze, landscaped parkland and safari park.
[Ref: 18012]   £260.00  
enquire about this item add to your wishlist

Plan of the Gardens and Plantations of Lowther Hall in Westmoreland the Seat of the Right Honourable the Lord Viscount Landsdale.
Plan of the Gardens and Plantations of Lowther Hall in Westmoreland the Seat of the Right Honourable the Lord Viscount Landsdale. Les Jardins &c.de Lowther Hall dans Westmoreland Maison de Viscomte Lansdale. p: 76. Vol: 3.d [Key lettered A to M, top left-hand corner.]
Ca: Campbell Delin: H: Hulsbergh Sculp:
[n.d. c.1731.]
Engraving. Plate 381 x 247mm. 15 x 9¾".
Garden plan from Henry Hulsbergh's "Vitruvius Brittanicus" series. Lowther Castle in the county of Westmoreland, has belonged to the Earls of Lonsdale since the Middle Ages. Circa 1690 the first Lowther Hall was demolished by John, 1st Viscount Lonsdale. The demolition took place to make room for a new house that was built 1692-95. Viscount Lonsdale consulted the best architects of the day (Robert Hooke, William Talman), but used none of them. Talman's design for the elevation may have been used, however, and Machell, a neighbor and antiquary, may have helped with Talman's designs. This second house was 15 bays with projecting wings and enclosed an inner court. The interior had a series of painted ceilings by Verrio depicting Olympian scenes. In 1718, when the new house was just completed, it was badly damaged by fire. Lord Lonsdale consulted James Gibbs and Colen Campbell about rebuilding.
[Ref: 18010]   £160.00   (£192.00 incl.VAT)
enquire about this item add to your wishlist

Plan of the Gardens and Plantations of Narford in the County of Norfolk, the Seat of the Honourable Sr. Andrew Fountain Vice Chamberlain to her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales. &c.
Plan of the Gardens and Plantations of Narford in the County of Norfolk, the Seat of the Honourable Sr. Andrew Fountain Vice Chamberlain to her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales. &c. Les Jardins &c de Narford dans l' Comte' de Norfolk Maison de Sr. Andrew Fountain. p: 95. Vol: 3.d
Ca: Campbell del: H: Hulsbergh Sculp:
[n.d. c.1731.]
Engraving. Plate 375 x 247mm. 14¾ x 9¾".
Garden plan from Henry Hulsbergh's "Vitruvius Brittanicus" series. Sir Andrew Fountaine (1676-1753) bought Narford Hall in Norfolk in 1690. He was an amateur architect and designer who commissioned Henry Bell to over see a grand project. Being a follower of Lord Burlington is is said that Burlington gave to Fountaine the Giovanni Antonio Pellegrini designed inset canvases on hallway walls. Narford is noted for its monkey ceiling, painted by Andien de Clermont, 1739-40. Fountaine was made vice-chamberlain by Queen Caroline, consort of Geroge II, and tutor to her third son, William August.
[Ref: 18011]   £160.00   (£192.00 incl.VAT)
enquire about this item add to your wishlist

Plan of the Park, Gardens and Plantations of Thorsby in Nottinghamshire ye Seat of his Grace the Duke of Kingston &c:
Plan of the Park, Gardens and Plantations of Thorsby in Nottinghamshire ye Seat of his Grace the Duke of Kingston &c: Les Jardins Parc &c. de Thorsby dans le Comté de Nottingham. p: 81. Vol: 3.d. p:82 [Lettered plan to lower right corner: A to I.]
Ca: Campbell delin: H: Hulsbergh Sculp:
[n.d. c.1731.]
Copper Engraving. Plate 312 x 502mm. 12¼ x 19¾". Vertical fold through centre.
Garden plan from Henry Hulsbergh's "Vitruvius Brittanicus" series. Thoresby Hall is a stately home in the Dukeries, Nottinghamshire. It was originally built during the reign of Charles I, but was rebuilt twice following a fire in 1745 by John Carr and Anthony Salvin. The Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull, Evelyn Pierrepoint was the subject of the earliest existing reference to cricket in Nottinghamshire. The notoriously difficult William Talman (1650-1719) as architect for the Duke would be largely responsible for the layout of the gardens in his remodelling of the house that took place in the late 1680ís. The leading gardeners of the era would have been involved.
[Ref: 18021]   £260.00  
enquire about this item add to your wishlist